First: A moment of silence to reflect on the victims of police abuse, worldwide.
No one can doubt that police departments have an important role in society. The good things that police departments do is seriously not a problem for anyone at all. It’s the bad things that they do that cause all the damage (and of course all the negative media coverage). So now, I ask the question: ” What’s wrong with these police?”….. More than a few innocent lives have been destroyed by these organizations: I still don’t know what we can do about it. Each year there are more reviews and more recommendations, but still the problem is not any better than it was 20 years ago.
(1.) Honesty: I do know that to admit wrongdoing is a sign of moral Strength, not weakness. It is rare thou that a police officer will admit to even remotely doing anything wrong. It may be that their Job, Pension, or Image have to come first.
Nuremberg Defense. They will claim that they shot someone because they were just doing their duty and protecting their country. They personally had no desire to kill someone, but were just following their training, which was given to them by a higher authority, the government. In this way they can relieve themselves of all accountability. Honesty is not an issue.
(2) Sleep-Working: I see mental illness as a day dreamer who is having a nightmare or some other bad dream. the Dreamer can not tell what is real. There is a part of the brain (the Pons) that is linked to dreaming and “REM Sleep”. This gland can be active when people are awake and walking around. There are also (hormone) that paralyze a person during the sleep cycle, this keeps a person from acting out his/her dream. Many people are basically Sleep-Walking. but what happens when a cop is day dreaming: When he/she sees something through a fog or dreamlike state? When that Cell phone or that Walkman looks like a gun. When that unhappy facial expression on a victims face looks like a threat to life.
Absolute power is not good
In the picture to the left what do you see? A wine glass, or a Candle stick, or two people facing each other. When a cop pulls the trigger, what is it that they see? Often it is danger to their own miserable lives, when in fact there is none at all
In the picture to the right here, what do you see? A naked man and woman, or dolphins? There are at least 8 dolphins that make up this picture, Just look at the dark spots. What would a cop be shooting at here, The man, The woman, or the Dolphins (or just some shadows in the night)? The point is that when cops screw up they screw up BIG-TIME, and people often get seriously hurt and die,(or worse yet, to be permanently disabled for the rest of your life). Not just ‘perpetrators and Suspects” but entire families and communities are permanently damaged by the actions of this small group of people who refuse to accept responsibility for their actions.
(4) Morality: Legal does not mean Moral. A police officer must enforce the law and arrest lawbreakers, no matter who they are. This Includes Family, and Friends. Mother, Father, Brother, Sister, Grandpa and Grandma. It is not hard to see why many cops have a hard time with human relationships. Who would want to hang around with someone who is just waiting for a chance to arrest you? This puts the cop into a position where he/she will choose who to arrest or who to let walk. They seem to protect themselves and colleges first and then their friends. The public is an afterthought. We end up with a two tier justice industry, with the cops and the people they “like” at the top of the system(immunity from the law), and the less fortunate, (usually the poor, uneducated and minority groups at the bottom). In any case, if the ‘Cops’ have gotten themselves a bad reputation, then , they most likely have earned it.
(5) Fear: When you pass a police on the road, do you get a “Warm and Fuzzy Feeling”. All safe and protected? Or does your heart skip a beat as the hair on you neck raises. Fear is one way to keep a society in check. You are afraid to break the law, for fear of being punished. Cops whether they know it or not spread an atmosphere of fear across the land.
(6) Police pride themselves at having discretion. This is a God Like quality where one person can decide the fate of another. Thumbs up you get let off, thumbs down you get busted. Its a coin toss, you never know what to expect.
The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, look good on paper.
The charter of rights is there to Guarantee that no police officer can exercise Absolute power, but, as these videos show, that many officers either did not read the charter, or forgot what it said, or just plain ignore it ) or quite possibly don’t know what they are doing). Any search on U-Tube will find hundreds or not thousands of videos of cops gone bad, worldwide, so this is by no means an exhaustive list. I think it will take much more that a new set of laws or more training to fix this problem. They have been reviewing and training and making changes to their system for decades and the problem still exists. So much damage has been caused that I doubt if the police can ever crawl out of the hole they have dug for themselves.
What is wrong with police in America…Some good thoughts about the american police.
Cops PrimeTime Crime …. Just another site that tracks some of our fine officers deeds.
Rcmp Watch…Another interesting link showing what officers have been up to.
(109) The man fatally shot by an Edmonton police officer Thursday afternoon has been identified as 55-year-old Vitaly Savin.
(108) Ottawa police Const. Daniel Montsion is now facing charges of manslaughter, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon in the death of Abdirahman Abdi last year.
(107)Calgary police opened fire into a vehicle, critically wounding and ultimately killing a suspect
(106) Detective Constable Jim Fisher, a 29-year veteran officer with the VPD, was charged with three counts of sexual exploitation, one count of sexual assault, one count of breach of trust, and one count of attempt to obstruct justice.
(105) Former Const. Michael Adam Timmer, 34, has been criminally charged with one count of sexual exploitation
(103) Srgt. Christopher Heard has been charged with two counts of sexual assault
(102) An RCMP staff sergeant Craig Robert Burnett, 48 in Nova Scotia has been charged with: Theft of cocaine. Trafficking cocaine. Breach of trust. Laundering proceeds of crime. Burnett is an RCMP officer with the communications center in Truro, N.S.
(101) Const. Dario Devic is facing two charges: attempting to lure a child under the age of 16 and breach of trust by a public officer.
(100) A Kamloops sheriff Kevin Johnston is alleged to have attempted to engage in a relationship with a ’14-year-old girl.’
(99) Const. Christian Dobbs was charged following a probe into his arrest of Raymond Costain outside the King Edward Hotel in the early hours of April 12, 2010.
(97) Charges against police are possible after a woman’s jaw was broken in custody
(96) Const. Remo Romano The undercover York police officer who struck and killed an 18-year-old girl while driving 115 km/h
(95) A Toronto police sergeant Christopher Heard sexual assault of a 27-year-old woman in September 2015
(94) 77-year-old Shirley Williams and her son, 39-year-old Jôvan Williams, are the victims in a police-involved shooting Thursday in the tiny town of Granisle, B.C
(93) The number of misconduct investigations the RCMP launched into their own staff went up by 158 per cent in 2015 over the previous year,
(92) Const. Eric Pomerleau is charged with assault with a weapon (pepper spray), assault causing bodily harm and common assault.
(91) A Quebec City police officer Isabelle Morin is accused of dangerous driving causing death.
(90) A judge has acquitted a Toronto drug squad constable Const. Gerrard Arulanandam of assault causing bodily harm and uttering threats against Shayne Fisher.
(88) The RCMP — has counted a total of 31 serving or retired members who have taken their own lives since 2006.
(87) Colin Smith of Tiny Township has been charged with impaired driving, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and failing to provide a breath sample.
(86) Nova Scotia RCMP announced on Thursday that Const. Patrick Bulger, 38, of Beresford, and Const. Mathieu Boudreau, 26, of Dunlop, have each been charged with:
- Manslaughter with a weapon.
- Two counts of assault with a weapon.
- Two counts of unlawfully pointing a firearm.
(85) At least 16 New Brunswick police officers have been suspended or fired in the past year.
(84) RCMP constable in Chilliwack, Daniel Marshall has been ordered off the force following a misconduct hearing this month.
(83)Grade 1 student James McIntosh: a four-year-old boy died after being hit by a car driven by an off-duty RCMP officer , in the southern Okanagan city of Penticton
(82) 14-year-old Marcus Larabie died in hospital after being hit by a car driven by an off-duty Abbotsford police officer>
(81) Dave Griffin ,The former president of a MADD chapter in P.E.I. and onetime Summerside deputy police chief has been sentenced to five days in jail after pleading guilty this morning to impaired driving.
(88) B.C.’s police complaints commissioner has cleared three Mounties involved in the fatal shooting of Alvin Wright, 22, in August 2010 after his common-law wife called 911 in the midst of a domestic dispute.
(88) Supt. Mark Fenton who ordered two mass arrests of protesters at the G20 in 2010, was found guilty of discreditable conduct and unnecessary exercise of authority.
(87) Hudson Brooks a 20-year-old was shot and killed early Saturday morning near the South Surrey RCMP detachment during some kind of altercation with an RCMP officer, where in addition, one officer ended up shooting another officer.
(85) On June 26, 2012, Sgt. Catherine Edgecombe convicted of impaired driving more than three years after being charged following a collision
(82) Const. Saxon Peters who was already facing charges of aggravated assault, unlawful confinement and two counts of obstruction of justice is now being charged with torture.
(81) Const. Eric Pomerleau was charged with 3rd assault.
(80) RCMP Const. Kevin Theriault took an intoxicated aboriginal woman he had arrested out of a cell and drove her to his northern Manitoba home to “pursue a personal relationship,”
(75) Edmund Yu shot to death by Toronto Police
(74) Andrew Loku shot to death by Toronto Police.
(72) Det. Constable Ruthowsky is facing four charges, including conspiracy to traffic cocaine, participating in the criminal activities of a gang, and breach of trust.
(71) Const. Bhupesh Gulati, 31: Const. Shawn Smith, 37: Const. Steve Travale, 40: Const. Staci Tyldesley, 29:Const. Dan Williams, 32: 5 Hamilton police officers charged in fake ticket scandal.
(70)Cpl. Dennis Hwang says British Columbia Richmond-RCMP-shoot-family-dog-while-investigating-break-in
(69) Rick Taylor , the retired cheif of the albera sheriffs department, was pulled over doing 143km/h in a 100km/h zone
(68) Former yorkton mountie sentenced on rape charges,,,Ambrose Gregory Wolfe of Yorkton, Saskatchewan, pleaded guilty to sexual assault charges
(67) Crown sets aside impaired driving charge against mountie, Staff Sgt. Bradley Freer.
(66) Const. Babak Andalib-Goortani was convicted in September of assault with a weapon for using excessive force during the arrest of protester Adam Nobody on June 26, 2010. A Toronto police officer who was found guilty of assaulting a protester during the city’s G20 summit four years ago is back at work
(65)Two Transit Police officers , Bruce Shipley and Alfred Wong , have been convicted of assaulting a 27-year-old man at the Granville SkyTrain Station.
(64). The office, which oversees municipal police forces in B.C., says it opened 1,091 investigation files and closed 845, in its 2013 year-in-review report.
(63).61-year-old Gaetan Gilbert Plante shot and killed
(62).A man has been shot and killed by Victoria police who were responding to a 911 call at a residence in the 200 block of Dallas Road
(61)Manitoba RCMP have charged a Saskatchewan RCMP officer with charges related to impaired driving. David Collings, 43, of Shaunavon, Saskatchewan, is facing charges related to impaired operation of a vehicle.
(56)Three Toronto police officers from the city’s 51 Division:Constables Joshua Cabero, Leslie Nyznik, and Sameer Kara : have been arrested and charged with sexual assault and a separate charge of gang sexual assault.
According to a Toronto Police Services press release, the officers involved are Constables Joshua Cabero, Leslie Nyznik, and Sameer Kara who have between four and six years experience on the force
(52) Daniel Clause, shot dead by Toronto Police.
(49) Steve Mesic shot by Hamilton Const. Michael McLellan shot to death in 41 seconds. McLellan and Cons. Kevin Farrell, who fired four shots into Mesic
(47) Al Wright and Linda Bush began a support group for victims of alleged police violence in B.C.
(46)Within a minute 51-year-old Phuong Na Du, or Tony Du was shot to death by Vancouver Police.
(45)Derek Welton Shot Dead in Duncan BC I remember meeting derek at a AA meeting.
(33) Al Wright, whose son was killed by police in 2005
(32) A Surrey family is outraged its child’s face was mauled by a police dog after the teen broke into a gas station and stole an energy drink early Saturday morning.
(31)Police dog attack sparks Vancouver lawsuit. Christopher Evans, 33, needed 100 staples to close the wounds on his leg following the attack on June 12.
(30). Never kick a man when he is down. Basic moral law
“” Victoria police Chief Jamie Graham said yesterday that “many officers” who have viewed the video are “not shocked at all. This is use of force. This is what we’re trained to do,” Graham said.
(29.).Robert Dziekanski, Tasered to death at Vancouver airport. Mr. Dziekanski is about the 18th person Tasered to death by the RCMP.
Constables Gerry Rundel, Bill Bently, Kwesi Millington, and supervisor Corporal Benjamin Robinson, Were involved in this senseless death.
(28). Same cop who was involved with the taser death, was also involved in a Drunk Driving death. Cpl Benjamin Montgomery Robinson was drunk and crashed into a motorcycle and killed Orion Hutchinson.
(27). Ian Bush , a resident of British Columbia, Canada, was shot in the back of the head and killed while in police custody on October 29, 2005 by Constable Paul Koester. He was arrested for having an open beer at an event.
(26). Kevin Geldart, 34, of Moncton, N.B., died after he was repeatedly shocked with Taser weapons by RCMP officers in 2005.
(25). Mountie Kill Another Mountie. Apparently he had cysts in his brain.
Kevin Gregson, age 43, is a former (RCMP) officer who is alleged to have murdered Ottowa Officer Const. Eric Czapnik in the early morning of December 29, 2009.
(24). ( CBC News) – A Vancouver-area RCMP officer is facing impaired driving charges a second time after getting stopped behind the wheel while his driver’s licence was suspended. This man was a 16 year veteran of the force.
(23). PRINCE GEORGE – An RCMP officer, Const. Justin Harris,who has been accused of buying sex from two teenage prostitutes in Prince George between 1993 and 2001 has been ordered returned to active duty.
(22). Both Hughson and Frazer were “highly intoxicated” when they left a bar in Maple Ridge on May 10, 2006
(21). Cpl. Andre Turcotte was sentenced to a 60 day conditional sentence for the assault of a Penticton man in 2007.
Pompeo aquitted April 2016. 7 years later.
(19). Winnipeg. Mob of Officers beat crap out of man who is down and already subdued.
(18). Articel in “The Telegram”
Const. Donald Alexander Langer of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, a 25 year Veteran, Is charged with DUI and for kicking out the back window of a police cruiser.
(17). A less disturbing video. Why detain a man and handcuff him in full view of the public, when he in fact is innocent.
“”McLaughlin, who is married with two children, told the court he asked if the woman was interested in a threesome,””
(15). Const. Peter Hodson fired for selling pot.
(13). June 21 2010, CTV News
“A member of the Vancouver Police Department has been charged with four counts of domestic assault.”
(12) June 18 2010, The Citizen: .
Rcmp crashes into a car and sends woman, Pattie Daniels, a 30 years old mother, to hospital in critical condition with skull fractures, who later died as a result of the collision.
(11) North Vancouver RCMP Corporal Darren Baker faced his colleagues at a RCMP disciplinary hearing on Wednesday, after admitting driving drunk while off-duty.
(9) The guy asks, ‘why do I have to put my Camera down’, the cops says ‘Because I told you too’. Just an example of the attitude some police have.(not all)
Two Victoria police officers have been charged with assault against two brothers who were arrested in October 2008 for public intoxication.
Const. Brent Keleher is charged with two counts of assault against Jeffrey Meyers after he was arrested on Oct. 18, 2008 — one while Meyers was in a police cruiser and Keleher was driving it to the station, and the second while Meyers was at the police station, according to court documents.
Const. Ryan Young is also charged with two counts of assault — one against Jeffrey Meyers and the other against his brother Trevor Meyers — while they were at the police station.
Neither Jeffrey nor Trevor Meyers was charged with an offence in relation to the arrest.
(7) Police surveillance videotape shows Willow Kinloch detained in a padded cell, where police officers are seen holding her down, handcuffing her, tying her feet and leaving her tethered to the cell door, where she stayed for four hours.
(8) A Lower Mainland Mountie is facing drunk-driving charges after her vehicle was stopped near Langley’s Cascades Casino on Friday night.
Langley RCMP were called to a complaint of a suspected impaired driver as a car pulled away from the casino on July 2.
“The driver was later identified to be an off-duty RCMP police officer driving her personal vehicle,” said RCMP Cpl. Annie Linteau in a release Wednesday.
(7) Judge John Combs acquitted Joel Donald Kempthorne, 49, of impaired driving and driving with his blood alcohol level over the legal limit, because the arresting officer’s actions were “excessive” after the officer pulled a gun out an put it on the neck of the accused.
“The gunpoint arrest was arbitrary and unnecessary and breached Kempthorne’s rights under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the judge wrote.”
(5). Surrey RCMP Const. David Clarke, 35, is charged with selling marijuana and possessing stolen marijuana along with stolen ID documents and police property.
(4).Const. Griffin Gillan, had more than 25 drinks on Jan. 21, 2009 when he assaulted Firoz Khan in a Brutal unprovoked attack.
Abbotsford police are recommending a charge of assault causing bodily harm against a Kelowna RCMP Const. Geoff Mantler in connection with a videotaped incident showing an officer kicking a compliant man in the face during an arrest.
(2). Const. Derek Brown, used excessive force on the woman while in the cellblock on Aug. 17 and is scheduled to appear in court March 6.
(1.) Const. Susan Gastaldo and Staff-Sgt. Travis Pearson were found guilty of having sex in a police car during work hours and exchanging intimate messages via an RCMP BlackBerry in 2009 while Gastaldo worked for Pearson in the “Special O” surveillance unit in the Lower Mainland.